Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Let's Draw Owls - We Did It!


A few days ago, I posted about using owls (Let's Draw Owls) as a subject for a "directed drawing" activity. Well, we did it! Rosetta had a little experience (in kindergarten) with directed draw. I think her teacher taught the class how to draw trees using this method. Two years later, and she still remembers her teacher's exact reasoning for using the directed draw method. I was impressed! Obviously, she was a  good listener.

Funny that -- I first learned the directed draw method in one of my credentialing classes, but I can't  remember the name of the lady who taught it. All I remember is that we drew parrots.

Anyway, I used the above step-by-step provided by Spittin-Toad, since I don't have any real experience drawing owls - or much of anything, really.


For an even simpler version, this is the owl drawing steps provided in the Legends of the Guardians packet I linked in the original Let's Draw Owls post:


Our materials -- We used brown paper bags (one side, with a handle for hanging) and oil pastels similar to the ones above. To do the initial drawing, we used light colored pencils so they would show up on the brown paper.

 
The Method -- After discussing how important it is to be a good listener and observer, I began the step-by-step drawing. I drew my eyes, then  the little voyagers drew theirs, and so on, until the owl outlines were complete.
 
 
The little voyagers watching, then drawing.


 After the outlines were complete, we used the oil pastels to color them in. (Hm, Spiderman seems to have switched hands to color!)

Here are the finished pieces of art:

This is Rosetta's owl. She added a nest and some eggs to her drawing.


This is Saralina's owl. I love how her owl is looking to the side. 
She added the sun and sky to her drawing.

This is Spiderman's owl. Now, he is only three years-old, so he asked Mama Voyager for some "help," and she obliged, but you can tell this is really "his" owl because it is so colorful, just like Spiderman!

Oh, yes! Almost forgot our newest poem for the week -- another owl poem:
 
The Wise Owl
The wise old owl
Sat in an oak.
The more he saw,
The less he spoke.
The less he spoke,
The more he heard.
Why can't we be like
That wise old bird?

All in all, I think this activity was a great success! This is a great activity to use for developing listening and focusing abilities, which are two skills we are working on this year.


1 comment:

  1. They're darling...I am so excited you used my directed draw!! Thank you for giving me credit. I have a great Sea Horse directed draw that the kids love too....I miss the days my kids and I would sit in front of the fire place and draw on a cold winters eve. :)
    Enjoy the grow fast.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete